Today Arathi will show us how to make a perfect homemade Dal Tadka, which ingredients to use and which not to use.
We also have a video recipe to watch on our Youtube channel and our post “MFIAC Ep4 – A culinary trip to India“.
And do not forget to watch our new mini-series “My Friend is a Cook”. Check it out the episode 1 and episode 2 about traditional Chinese food!
For the "Dal":
- 1 Cup of Lentils (Any kind)
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 3 - 4 cm peeled ginger, and crushed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder or Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala, or adjust to taste
- 1½ teaspoon Salt, or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
For the "Tadka":
- 3 teaspoons ghee (or normal butter)
- 2 dried red chilies (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder or Paprika
Making the Dal
- Rinse the lentils and soak it for 20 mins.
- Boil the lentils in 2 cups of water till they become squishy. Now you should have watery lentils.
- Once the lentils are boiled, take a pan and add some cooking oil. To the cooking oil, add some cumin seeds and wait for it to heat up.
- Add onions and sauté until onions are golden brown.
- To this mixture, add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes are squished.
- Add ginger, garlic and half a teaspoon each of paprika, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and add the boiled lentils. Add more water if the mix is too thick.
- Let it boil for 10 mins on simmer and, voila, your Dal Tadka is ready!
For the Tadka
- In a small pan, add ghee or butter to melt.
- Then add cumin seeds and Kashmiri red chili powder. Let them splutter. Pour the Tadka inside the Dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
For a Vegan recipe, you can use Olive oil or Veg butter instead of normal butter.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 125Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 8mgSodium 830mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 6g
Do you have a friend who says he knows how to cook better than you?
Challenge him/her with this recipe and let us know with a comment on the bottom of this page.