Today Arathi will show us how to make a perfect homemade Dal Tadka, which ingredients to use and which not to use.
We also have a video recipe to watch on our Youtube channel and our post “MFIAC Ep4 – A culinary trip to India“.
And do not forget to watch our new mini-series “My Friend is a Cook”. Check it out the episode 1 and episode 2 about traditional Chinese food!
For the "Dal":
- 1 Cup of Lentils (Any kind)
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 3 - 4 cm peeled ginger, and crushed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder or Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala, or adjust to taste
- 1½ teaspoon Salt, or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
For the "Tadka":
- 3 teaspoons ghee (or normal butter)
- 2 dried red chilies (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder or Paprika
Making the Dal
- Rinse the lentils and soak it for 20 mins.
- Boil the lentils in 2 cups of water till they become squishy. Now you should have watery lentils.
- Once the lentils are boiled, take a pan and add some cooking oil. To the cooking oil, add some cumin seeds and wait for it to heat up.
- Add onions and sauté until onions are golden brown.
- To this mixture, add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes are squished.
- Add ginger, garlic and half a teaspoon each of paprika, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and add the boiled lentils. Add more water if the mix is too thick.
- Let it boil for 10 mins on simmer and, voila, your Dal Tadka is ready!
For the Tadka
- In a small pan, add ghee or butter to melt.
- Then add cumin seeds and Kashmiri red chili powder. Let them splutter. Pour the Tadka inside the Dal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
For a Vegan recipe, you can use Olive oil or Veg butter instead of normal butter.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 125 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 8mg Sodium 830mg Carbohydrates 18g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 6g
Do you have a friend who says he knows how to cook better than you?
Challenge him/her with this recipe and let us know with a comment on the bottom of this page.